29 March 1985
Rte du Comptoir 19
+41 (0)26 429 69 60
joel [at] dumoulin.ch
May 2011-Today: Senior researcher at School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg
Teaching assistant for computer science courses in Bachelor and Master degrees in the following domains: information systems, human-computer interactions, algorithmic and data structures, machine learning and pattern recognition.
Project management and participation in various research projects, e.g., UNICITY (CTI), mCARS (HES-SO), Memories (Hasler Foundation).
Supervision of Bachelor and Master thesis, and other students’ projects.
2005-2006: Full year internship at Hydro-Exploitation SA, Sion
Employee of the IT department, application development, user support.
Education and training
2012-2015: Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Engineering, Multimedia and Telecommunication at University of Florence, Italy
PhD Thesis: Emotion recognition in multimedia content and creation of an empathic television in order to improve television user experiences.
2009-2011: Master of Science HES-SO in Engineering, major in Information and Communication Technologies at HES-SO
Master thesis: Brain Computer Interface research – Gesture recognition of simple hands movement using a brain lightweight headset for driving an electric Smart Wheelchair based on the user’s brain activity (C#, Open-VIBE, SVM).
2006-2009: Bachelor of Science HES-SO in Computer Science at School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg
Graduate work: Design and implementation of a semi-virtual pool game on an interactive table (C#, XAML, Open Dynamics Engine).
2002-2006: Swiss Federal Certificate (CFC + Maturité technique) in Computer Science at Ecole des Métiers du Valais (EMVS)
Graduate work: Design and implementation of the stock management system for the printer supplies of the company (ASP.NET, MS SQL Server).
- Setting up research projects, IT project management, agile methodologies
- User interfaces and information visualization research
- Algorithmic and data structures
- Computer vision, machine learning and pattern recognition, multimedia processing and automatic annotation, affective modeling and emotions recognition
- Teaching, supervising students
- Augmented reality, virtual reality, semi-virtual reality
- Architecture and software development experience in .Net, J2EE and Python
- Mobile development
- Operating systems, databases, network
- French: mother tongue
- English / German: very good skills, both written and oral
- Italian: good skills
- Sport: hiking, climbing
- Computer world: Hardware and software, mobile world, user interface evolution
Technologies and programming languages highlights
Android / Angular2/JS / AzureML / C# / C++ / Caffe / Git / HTML5 / J2EE / Java / JS / .Net / NodeJs / NoSQL / OpenCV / Python / Qt / Ruby / Scikit-learn / SQL / SVM / TypeScript / UML / Unix / XML